Tuesday, June 14, 2005

 

Vicksburg - more than expected

We spent almost a whole day (Monday) in Vicksburg instead of planned few hours. The quiet and sleepy town (as it looked at the first sight) has actually a lot of projects going on. The city authorities are really trying to improve infrastructure and attract more tourists. The main street looks completely renovated. What caught my eye (and ear) were presence of Wi-Fi (wireless internet access) zones on the main street, and the nice music coming out of the speakers installed on the ground every 10-15 meters on both sides of the street. Many comfortable benches are conveniently located along the street in the vicinity of the speakers as well :) Pretty nice.


Anyway, I learned a lot today: for example that Coca-Cola was bottled for the first time in Vicksburg. The Biedenharn Candy store (the place where it all happened) is now a museum dedicated mostly to Coca-Cola. Quite interesting. The riverfront murals were another impressive project that got our attention. Too bad I did not have a digital camera with me (only 35 mm), or I'd share my shots with you here :). And of course we spent a good chunk of our time in Vicksburg National Military Park -- the most impressive memorial for "one of the most decisive battles of the American Civil War, the campaign, siege and defense of Vicksburg." I learned more of American history in one day than during my many years of schools (not in America mind you :)

It was already dark when we arrived in New Orleans. I'd like to see in a day light that 10(?) mile bridge across the lake that we crossed to get into the city. It seemed that we drove forever (and very fast too), and it was not ending...

inna


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?